Finding the Right Builder for You
Finding the right homebuilder is just as important as finding the right floor plan. It’s your builder’s expertise that will be responsible for constructing your new home and your satisfaction will depend on their experience, skills and commitment to customer service. It’s important that the builder you choose has these qualifications and is able to meet your needs and expectations for the home and for the buying experience.
Remember, it is important to research potential builders in order to learn more about their reputation, responsiveness and reliability!
Checklist for finding a builder:
- Utilize BAGI’s Find a Builder tool. You can also ask family, friends or coworkers for recommendations.
- Make sure builders have a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers.
- Find out how long builders have been in the building business. It usually takes three to five years to establish a financially sound business. You want to make sure they will be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties.
- Check out the company’s rating and if there have been any complaints filed with your local Better Business Bureau.
- Ask builders to provide you with names of previous customers and ask the customers if they would hire the builder again.
- Ask to see examples of builders’ work, both completed and in progress. Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Do you feel you can easily communicate with the builder? Remember, you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and afterward as you live in your new home.
- Make sure builders provides you with a complete and clearly written contract. The contract will benefit both of you. Review copies of the home warranty and homeowner manual as well.